George W Blood 1833 – 1912

George W Blood was born on 2 June 1833, in Plainfield NH, the son of Daniel F and Mehitable (Williams) Blood. Plainfield of his time was described as having excellent meadows, ponds, and a stream coming out of the Croydon Mountains. He married Sarah Z Pickernail on 18 Feb 1856, in Lebanon NH. They had a daughter, Mariette (or Mary E) born about February 1857. In 1860, they were living in Reading VT.

George served in the Civil War from January 16, 1865, to July 29, 1865. He enlisted in Company G, New Hampshire 18th Infantry Regiment, which became part of an Engineer Brigade. The Regimental History of the Eighteenth Regiment of the New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry describes postings and engagements of George’s unit, paraphrased here: January 17, 1865, Thomas L. Livermore was commissioned colonel. Companies G joined the regiment at City Point in February. The regiment remained a part of Benham’s brigade until March 19, and was employed for some weeks in labor on the fortifications of City Point. March 19, by order of General Meade, commanding the Army of the Potomac, the regiment was detached from Benham’s brigade, and ordered to report to the commander of the Ninth Army Corps, to be disbanded and distributed among the New Hampshire regiments of that command. The personal intercession of Colonel Livermore at army headquarters caused the order for disbandment to be revoked. Having reported to General Parke, commanding the Ninth Army Corps, March 25 the regiment supported the Eleventh Massachusetts Battery, in the engagement in which Fort Stedman was recaptured from the enemy, and on the same day it was assigned to the Third Brigade, First Division, Ninth Army Corps, and was posted in Fort Stedman, where it remained, under constant fire, until the fall of Petersburg. March 29 the regiment repelled a night attack, in which Major Brown was killed, Lieutenant-Colonel Clough was slightly wounded, and several enlisted men were killed and wounded. April 2 the regiment made ready for an assault on the enemy’s line, which the division was ordered to make. Captain Greenough was wounded while forming the three companies which had been placed under his command for the advance party. The assault was countermanded. Later in the day, a skirmish line from the regiment, supported by three of its companies under Captain Potter, was thrown forward, and encountered a strong force, with a loss of one killed and several wounded. April 3 the regiment entered Petersburg, which had been abandoned by the enemy the night before, and then moved up the Southside Railroad to Ford’s Station, where it remained until the 20th. Captain Potter was promoted to major April 4, and Colonel Livermore was mustered in and took command April 8. On the 20th the command marched for City Point, where it took steamer and arrived at Alexandria April 26, and then marched to Tennallytown, D. C., where it went into camp with its brigade, which included also the Twenty-ninth, Fifty-seventh, and Fifty-ninth Massachusetts Volunteers and One Hundredth Pennsylvania Volunteers. Soon after arriving at Tennallytown, the Eighteenth was placed on guard in Four and One-Half Street, Washington, from Pennsylvania Avenue to the Arsenal where the court-martial was sitting for the trial of the conspirators against President Lincoln, and, alternating in tours of four days with a regiment from another army corps, it continued to perform this duty during the entire session of the court. The selection of the Eighteenth as one of the two regiments for this duty, out of the great army then lying around Washington, was high testimony to the character, discipline, and soldierly appearance of the regiment. May 19 Companies G, H, and I went on duty as provost guard in Georgetown. June 8 Colonel Livermore was appointed president of a court-martial convened by the division commander of the First Division, Ninth Army Corps, and June 15, by his order, was assigned to the command of the Third Brigade of that division. He and Major Potter were mustered out June 23, and Companies G, H, and I, and Lieutenant-Colonel Clough, were mustered out July 29.

In 1870, George, Sarah, and Mariette were living in Plainfield. There were no other children listed for George in either the 1860 or 1870 census, so Mariette was either an only child, or no other children lived long enough to be counted in the census. Sarah died in 1877, and in 1880, George was boarding in Hanover with the Carlos Thomas family.

George applied for a civil war pension. His documents from 1883 say that he was hospitalized. In 1885, George filed his “History of Claimant’s Disability”, saying that he was exposed to damp ground and had rheumatism constantly from the time he was discharged, and had to use crutches for weeks at a time. He felt he “couldn’t do one half a man’s labour at any time since discharge.” In 1887 George filed that he could not provide the testimony of two enlisted men with his company (other than his brother Daniel) to testify about his illness because he didn’t know where they are. He also stated that both doctors who treated him are dead, and he requested to use the testimony of neighbors instead. In 1888 George filed an application saying that he was receiving $6 per month, but that he was now disabled by chronic diarrhea and resulting piles, as well as the rheumatism contracted in the service. He stated that he was unable to do any kind of work, and requires nursing care, as well as the care of a physician. In 1888, George was also able to provide the names of commissioned officers but not their residences, and that Dr. Hiram Dow had died, but asked that other doctors be allowed to provide testimony. In 1890 Daniel Blood filed another statement confirming George’s service, stating that his disability was caused by being exposed to severe cold, resulting in severe rheumatism. Daniel confirmed that George was unable to work, and had to go home from service in an ambulance. George also stated that he was on duty with Josiah Pelton on the night that they laid out in the snow and were exposed to the extreme cold. In 1891 George filed another General Affidavit, stating that he contracted rheumatism near City Point, VA, in Feb 1865. In 1896 the Bureau of Pensions requested medical records from the War Department. The records stated “pleurisy”, and not fit for duty, disabled. In 1897 George listed his only living child as Mariette (Royce) born in Reading VT Feb 1857.

The 1900 census lists George W Blood, living in Springfield, VT with a lady named Lovina E Buchman, his sister-in-law. Lovina is Sarah Pickernail’s sister. Gilman Frost records say George Hayes had a cross-eyed housekeeper who ran off with a man named Buckman. The missing 1890 census leaves a gap in the records. Perhaps Lovina was his housekeeper before she married Hilliard Buckman. In 1906 George filed with the pension office that due to his condition, he was not able to ride any distance and couldn’t go before an examining board. He requested that a surgeon be sent to examine him at home.  In 1910, George lived in Plainfield with Harriet Blood (widow of George’s brother Edwin) and Elsie Lawin, Edwin and Harriet’s granddaughter.

George died 18 January 1912, in Plainfield, and he was buried in Plainfield Cemetery. His headstone has: Geo. W. Blood, Co. G, 18 N.H. Inf. (GAR Marker)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: