George Wesley Taylor d 3 May 1946

George Taylor was born 4 August, 1861, in Factorydale, by Morristown, in Nova Scotia.  He was the second of nine children of George William Taylor and Diadamia Hodges.  In 1871, the family lived in South Aylesford (Morristown area).  In 1881, the family was counted in the same place.  Taylors were a farming family. 

George married Lena Bertha Taylor in Factorydale on 2 September 1889.  She was the daughter of Joseph Alben Taylor and Mariah Hodges.  George and Lena were first cousins.  They were counted in the 1891 census in Millville.  George was going by “Wesley” and was a shoemaker.  Their first son, William, was just born.  They eventually had four more children. 

In 1901, the family lived at 237 Jubilee Road, Aylesford.  They had an eight-room house and one out-building on 1 acre.  The family was Methodist, and George continued his trade as a shoemaker, with an income of about $600 per year.  The census indicates that son William was deaf/dumb (terminology of the time).    

In 1911, the family lived in Aylesford, and Wesley was a laborer for the railroad.  All five children were still living at home. 

Thursday, May 11, 1911:  Disastrous Fire:

Shortly after two o’clock on Monday afternoon the buildings of Wesley Taylor, at Aylesford, were seen to be on fire. A high wind was blowing and it was impossible to save them from destruction. The house, barn, and shoe shop were destroyed. The adjoining buildings, houses and barns, belonging to Mr. John Taylor, and to Mr. Chas Blackburn, the residence of Mrs. Frances Nichols, and the house and barn of Mr. Thompson, were burned in rapid succession. The fire then leaped across the railway track, and caught in the store occupied by Mr. Clarence Elliott (formerly owned by the late C. J. West), which was also destroyed. From there it caught in the store of Mr. L. H. Davidson, near the railway crossing, which, with the harness shop of Mr. C. B. McIntyre, a barn belonging to Mrs. Healy and one belonging to Miss Julia Foster were all swept away. It was only by great exertion that the store of Mr. L. R. Whitman and the house of Mr. Davidson were saved, though great damage was done to both buildings and their contents. Metal shingles saved the store of Mrs. Healy.

Help was sent from Berwick; from the Blackadar Bros.’ mills at Millville, and by special train from Kentville. The Railway Station building caught repeatedly. The total loss is put at $25,000, which the sufferers will probably find is an under estimate.  It is alleged that the fire originated from a spark from the engine of a train which passed through Aylesford early in the afternoon.

George’s son William died in 1913.  His wife died in 1928.  George died 3 May 1946 in Aylesford.

The Register, Berwick, NS publ. 9 May 1946 GEORGE W. TAYLOR

AYLESFORD, May 7 – The death of George Wesley Taylor occurred Friday, May 3, at the home of his son, Leander Taylor.  Mr. Taylor was born at Factorydale, 84 years ago, and lived there until 1900, when he moved to Aylesford. His wife predeceased him by ten years.  Surviving are one daughter, Mrs. William Potter, Aylesford, and three sons – Leander, Aylesford; Lionel, Toronto; and Lorne, Cambridge, Mass. Funeral service, conducted by Rev. S. G. MacQueen, was held at the home, Sunday afternoon. Burial was in Aylesford cemetery. Pallbearers were Malby Lutz, Claude White, Roy Jackson and Fred Small. 

Aylesford Union Cemetery, Kings Co., Nova Scotia:   TAYLOR: George W. Taylor, 4 Aug 1861-3 May 1946, wife, Lena B., 18 Dec 1871-23 Sept 1928.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: